General Policy & Code of Conduct
- You must wear your current membership badge, hereby referred to as “badge”, at all times to be admitted to any HLG Con event. Be prepared to show your badge at all times within HLG Con event spaces. Your badge should must clearly be visible.
- Treat Guests, HLG Con event staff, HLG Con adjunct staff, and other attendees with courtesy and respect.
- We will not tolerate the use of real world slurs, in- or out-of-character. A list that is by no means exhaustive can be found here. Please follow the philosophy of, if it might offend those around you, choose another word or phrase.
- Possession of alcoholic beverages in the convention space by anyone under 21 years of age is grounds for expulsion from the convention without refund. Anything illegal outside the convention is illegal inside the convention.
- Please refrain from all behavior that a fan would find offensive out of public view.
- HLG Con does not tolerate any sort of disruptive or dangerous behavior. Our staff will take action if any disruptive or dangerous behavior is witnessed. Being excessively loud, yelling, and the use of noise makers qualify as disruptive behavior. The appropriate level of action will be determined by the nature of the behavior and at the discretion of HLG Con event staff.
- Fighting (fake or real), instigating, impeding traffic flow, offensive behavior, failure to observe basic hygiene, public inebriation or similar intoxication, and any other problematic behavior is prohibited during HLG Con events. The only exception to the fighting point is during an official LARP event. Fighting in these events must follow the rules of the LARP, including prior consent.
- We highly discourage sleeping in the HLG Con event space or other public spaces. If you need to sleep, please return to your hotel room or other private living space.
- Do not block the walking spaces within an HLG Con event; it both poses a safety hazard and inconveniences other event attendees. If you are found blocking pathways, you will be asked to move.
- Please do not abuse the hotels or convention spaces used by HLG Con. This includes putting signs on walls. Public locations for notices are provided. Please do not vandalize, destroy, or damage the facilities; we’d kinda like to do this again. Violators will be reported to the authorities.
- HLG Con is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged property or for injuries sustained during the course of the convention.
- As a courtesy HLG Con operates a Lost and Found during the course of each HLG Con event. If you lose an item during an HLG Con event, please check with HLG Con staff. If you happen to find a misplaced item, you may turn it in to any HLG Con staff member. The Showboat also offers a lost and found and some items may be left with hotel staff.
- Announced events, programming, activities, and/or guests are subject to change and/or cancellation without notice. Every effort will be made to announce any changes via the official HLG Con website, official HLG Con publications, and official HLG Con social media channels.
- We reserve the right to ask you to leave an HLG Con event and refuse to refund your ticket for any of the reasons listed in these policies. If it is determined that you have done something sufficiently heinous not listed in the above rules and policies, we still reserve these same rights.
Autograph Session Policy
Guests will be available for autographs throughout the weekend. Please check the schedule for each Guest’s specific autograph session. In order to ensure that the most people can get through the line with the short amount of time allotted, we will be enforcing the following:
- There is a limit of two (2) items per Guest, per Attendee for signing. Items should be prepared for signing before the Session (i.e. if you have a media item, remove the insert or disc prior to reaching the autograph table).
- Guests may charge for autographs after the first two (2) items per Attendee and may sell prints and other merchandise. The fee is set by the guest and is not in any way set by or collected on behalf of HLG Con.
- Guests have the right to decline to sign anything they are not comfortable signing.
- Attendees are not allowed to photograph or take video recordings of the Guests. On some occasions, photographing the Guests may be allowed at both their discretion and the discretion of the HLG Con event staff monitoring the Session. At no time are Attendees allowed behind the autograph table.
- Please be courteous and respectful to Guests and event staff. Disruptive or rude behavior by attendees will not be tolerated and can lead to removal from the Autograph Session and/or from the HLG Con event.
Please wear appropriate clothing in HLG Con event spaces and common areas. If your outfit is not legal to wear on a conservative public beach, then it is not suitable to be worn during an HLG Con event.
Blackface or cos-play alteration to mimic someone of a natural human skin tone different to your own is not appropriate at HLG Con. This is a complex issue and organizers will use their discretion in determining if a costume is inappropriate. As a guideline, consider if someone might find your make-up offensive, if they could, then choose against it, please.
Also, yes, this means no Drow costumes, please.
Weapons & Props
Atlantic City has strict laws regarding firearms and other weapons. Please err on the side of caution. We understand that carrying props and replicas is important to many fans as part of the convention experience. Carry and use them at their own risk and assume all risks of liability to and from anyone injured or otherwise harmed directly or indirectly. We are not be liable for injury, harm, damage, or other liability associated with any person’s use of any weapon (permitted or banned), any prop, or costume during the course of an HLG Con event.
Illegal weapons will be reported to the appropriate authorities. If you think your weapon may be illegal, please do not bring it to an HLG Con event.
General Weapon & Prop Policies
We appreciate the time and effort put into the creation of your costumes, props, and replica weapon-like items, and understand that non-working replica, prop, and imitation “weapons” are often a part of cosplay. To ensure the safety of all those attending HLG Con events, the following rules apply:
- Live steel is not permitted at any HLG Con event. Live steel is defined as swords, knives, or other objects made of metal, which can take an edge. Dull metal weapons are considered live steel, and therefore are not permitted.
- Guns and projectile weapons of any kind are not permitted at any HLG Con event. Examples include: live guns, replicas of live guns, pellet guns, BB guns, air guns, crossbows, dart guns, blowguns, “Air Soft” guns, water guns, squirt guns, and any toy that is capable of actually firing a projectile or has ever fired a projectile, liquid, or object of any type are not allowed. Prop guns that are easily identifiable as toys, provided that they possess no major moving parts and are clearly marked with a non-removable orange tip, will be allowed. These gun-like props cannot have any working mechanisms or they must be able to be permanently disabled. Any non-working projectile weapon being used for a prop must have a 1/2 inch of bright orange paint, plastic or tape around the end of the business end or muzzle.
- Futuristic replicas and fake period weapons may be displayed as long they are recognizable as obvious fakes.
- Flail weapons are not permitted. Examples include: whips, floggers, maces, nunchaku, and any weapon attached moving parts designed to impact opponents. Items on strings that are longer than a human hand also qualify as flails and thus are not permitted.
- Incendiary devices of any kind are not permitted.
- You may not carry or possess any working weapon, openly or concealed, at any time around the convention spaces. Working weapons, firearms (including antique weapons and firearms), and all forms of live ammunition are strictly forbidden.
- Staves, bo sticks, boken, shinai, and wooden swords are permitted at any HLG Con event so long as they are ornamental and are in no way used as offensive or defensive weapons. Small metal props are permitted provided they cannot take an edge or point, and are not sharp in any way. They also may not be so heavy enough to easily bludgeon someone or something.
- Even items that may be legal to carry such as small knives or stun guns are not welcome at any HLG Con event. Please leave them at home.
It is imperative that costume “weapons” comply with this policy and with local, state, and federal laws.
Large props, costumes or fake weapons must not be so unwieldy that they impede hallway traffic flow or have issue navigating entryways. The rough size determiner is if it is taller or wider than a standard doorway (6’8” tall by 30” wide) then it is probably too large. If you are found to have an obstructive costume or item that is causing navigation issues you will be politely asked to remove it from the convention space. Some exceptions may be considered with prior approval.
Fake, prop, or homemade weapons are permitted if they are in no way dangerous to yourself or to others around you. HLG Con staff will determine on a case-by-case basis whether a prop weapon is dangerous. Staff decision will be final. If you think that your item is close to, or may possibly violate this policy, please have it inspected by HLG Con Public Safety staff for a ruling. All carried prop weapons are subject to examination at any time by HLG Con event staff. HLG Con event staff is not liable for damage to prop weapons during inspection.
If you are found using any weapon, prop, or weapon like object in an unsafe manner, we reserve the right to expel you from the event. No clowning around or showing off in the common areas.
Props Purchased from the Dealers Room
Any weapon purchased in the Dealer Room must be boxed and removed from convention space immediately, and must remain boxed and stored in your private quarters (hotel room, car, etc.) for the duration of HLG Con. Weapons are not to be taken out their packaging or wrapping at any time over the course of HLG Con.
- If you wish to photograph a Guest, HLG Con staff member, HLG Con adjunct staff member, or any other attendee, please ask first. If it has been determined that you photographed a subject that expressed their desire to not be photographed, appropriate action will be taken by HLG Con event staff.
- If you are photographing in a common space or event space, please move to the sides of hallways and away from elevators, escalators, and stairs, so that others may pass by without interference.
- Flash photography is prohibited in any event where the flash may create a safety hazard. Examples include: opening ceremonies and cosplay masquerade.
- Photography is prohibited in the Dealers Room, Artists Alley, Art Show, and/or similar rooms at any HLG Con event.
- These rules apply to all attendees of the HLG Con event, including members of the press. If you are found photographing in violation of these rules, you may be asked to leave the event.
For the following event-types (if they occur) there will also be a “No photography or recording devices” Policy in effect.
- Video Programming Rooms
Signs reflecting this policy will be posted outside the doors to these events. Anyone caught violating these policies will be removed from the event in question with no re-admittance.
Refunds may be issued until August 1st minus $25 to cover credit card processing fees. Refund requests must be sent to email@example.com with your name, email address, and receipt. Refunds cannot be issued after September 1st.